Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A tough day

So today was a pretty hard day.  Emily, my compatriot in the peds ward, lost a 5-month-old little boy to a central nervous system infection.  As we can’t do spinal fluid cultures or herpes PCR, we can’t know for sure what finally took the kiddo, but with the considerable amount of blood in the CSF, the lymphocytic predominance of the WBCs, and the concurrent seizures, it seems it was most likely herpes encephalitis.  Emily was pretty shaken…understandably so.  The family is from pretty far away from Mbingo, and since they couldn’t transport the body back home, they went ahead and had the burial here today.  Emily went to the funeral.  She said it was hard to see the parents bury their only child only hours after he had died. 

As for my “NICU” kids, two of the three in the incubators are doing pretty well—pretty much just growers now.  They’re feeding both by NG tube and by cup and slowly but surely gaining weight.  The third kiddo, a little boy named Praise whose mom had uterine rupture at 32 wks gestation, is not doing well at all.  His amount of respiratory distress is worsening each day.  We’ve covered him with antibiotics for sepsis, but he has continued to worsen.  I think he most likely has RDS from his prematurity and lack of pulmonary surfactant.  And because mom had an emergent C-section, we were not able to give her steroids to help speed his lung maturity.  I checked on him several times today after rounds, and it’s so hard to just watch him lie there and struggle to breathe.  I checked with the pharmacy and three different attendings just to verify that we don’t have surfactant to give.  Sadly, we don’t.  We also don’t have ¼ normal saline, so figuring fluids for these tiny little babies is a beast.  And our potassium machine is broken, so we can’t monitor K on anyone in the whole hospital!  I’ve oscillated between anger and apathy and awe throughout the course of today.  It’s hard not to get frustrated when you know that if this child were born elsewhere, things could be different.  Then that starts me thinking…why was I born elsewhere?  I didn’t do anything to deserve that?  God, why are some so privileged and others born into destitution?  I pondered this while making several trips across the compound today—between maternity, the lecture room, the pharmacy, and back to my room.  Then in the quiet of my heart, I feel…not much.  I don’t know the answer to that question, and until I get to heaven I’m not sure I will.  But I know I can be at peace, for God has a master plan.  All I can do is use the knowledge and skill and resources the Lord has given me to reach out and meet a need.  Jesus gave that example often.  He met the physical needs of an individual, and that opened the door for him to speak into their spiritual life. 

So, tragedy on the peds ward did not stop today after the passing of the 5-month-old.  This evening, shortly before typing this message, the nurse came to notify Emily and Dr. Jam (one of the senior residents) that another of the pediatric patients, an adolescent girl with Burkitt’s lymphoma, had passed just a short while ago.  I can hear the family crying from outside the ward across the hospital compound as I write this.  Here in Africa, even though death may be more common and more a part of everyday life, it still does not fall easily upon the hearts of family members who lose a loved one.  Pray for the patients here, and pray for us physicians that are trying to take care of them.  Pray that the Lord teaches our hearts to trust Him more.

4 comments:

  1. We prayed for you tonight and will pray for your patients as well. In the midst of all the suffering I am confident you will see God's healing as well. While I still don't understand why God heals certain people while allowing others to die I am learning to trust his ways and understand that suffering sometimes brings the greatest healings. Look forward to hearing more. Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romans 5:8
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
    God's love is beyond our understanding. We all deserve death and separation from God, only by His Grace are we chosen to enjoy His peace love and mercy. May the increase awareness of our morality and Christ's sacrifice increase our praise and awe of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    God has placed you at Mbingo at this time for his purpose. We pray that you will have confidence in this and look for God moving not despite the death and suffering, but through it.
    Your in our prayers, Russ and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Danny - we are praying for you...hang onto Ephesians 3:20 - He is able to do more than we could ever even imagine...we love you and will keep you before the Throne daily...Beth and Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This entry made me cry. It reminded me of all of the small lives I have seen lost that would have been so easily spared in the states. Let me know if you figure out the answers to the questions we all ask about why God allows such disparity... or perhaps it is me (or all of us) that allow such disparity. I am praying for you.
    Nancy Hart

    ReplyDelete